Facial expressions are a part of our daily communications. These expressions carry messages, we smile at friends to show that we are happy to see them, and we notice if our child looks sad knowing that something is wrong or bothering them. In many ways these messages and their related facial expressions may seem self-evident, but they sometimes carry more information than we might think. Even though many people naturally understand facial expressions, that may not necessarily mean that they are interpreting these facial expressions correctly or gaining all the information that is being communicated through the face. It can take training to fully grasp the emotions and messages that the face reveals, but it is very possible, and worthwhile, to develop this invaluable area of expertise.
Table of Contents
- History of Facial Expressions
- What are the Universal Facial Expressions?
- Individual Differences: How are Facial Expressions expressed?
- Self-Awareness and Facial Expressions: How are Facial Expressions Experienced?
- How are Facial Expressions Measured and Analyzed?
- Facial Action Coding System (FACS)